Tuesday, May 7, 2013

CCSS??? What is that!?!?!

I don’t know about you, but when I read Principal Abate’s letter about CCSS, it kind of scared me. It sounded a little overwhelming and I was wondering how this was going to change school curriculum and how it was going to impact our family. But before giving it a thumbs-down and allowing negative thoughts to bubble up at the mere thought of CCSS, I thought I’d do a little more research. Here’s a couple basic questions I had and what I learned…. 
 
What is it? 
CCSS stands for Common Core State Standards. It directs teachers to instruct based on standards that children are to meet. For all the background info on CCSS, click here.
  
Are we guinea pigs for a new program? 
No, this effort started in 2009 (ok, so we’re not guinea pigs).  It has been implemented in many schools nation wide and many states are planning full implementation in the coming years.
 
Why is it being implemented? 
The concept is to have a national standard that ensures our children are able to do two things: 1) compete in the modern workforce and 2) ensure college readiness.

How is it going to impact my family? 
I’m still not 100% sure on this one. I hope our teachers are prepared for this new change and we don’t struggle implementing it. I’ve been told that they are attending seminars and gaining knowledge in this area. I hope our teachers understand we do our best to manage school, work, social, and family obligations. I am confident that they will not expect us to take on the teaching role but find ways to help us in supporting this change with guidance and the right tools.


After learning a bit more I felt much more comfortable with this new program. I expect there will be an adjustment period, but I know we will get through it.  What questions do you have about CCSS and implementing it at St. Bernard’s? Let us know… maybe we can find out for you or have Principal Abate address your concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment